Carbon fibres are hugely used for various structural applications because of their enhanced specific strength and stiffness to weight ratio. Typical carbon fibre is divided into three main groups: Highly modulus, high strength and intermediate modulus. Carbon fibres are mainly prepared from the organic precursor made from a polymer through the carbonization process. Maximum carbon fibre parts used in automotive and aerospace applications are panned fibres. Another kind of carbon fibre is pitch, but it is utilized in small quantities.
Important properties of carbon fibre that relates to composite materials, specifically those making use of carbon fibre as one of its major constituents, are
- High strength
- Highly resistant to corrosion
- Low in density
- EM transparency
- Fatigue life
- Good thermal conductivity.
Now the question is what benefit you get from carbon fibre
While describing the carbon fibre properties, it is necessary to compare other materials required for manufacturing components to comprehend the real benefits. For a designer relation between stiffness and strength to weight, the ratio is one of the important factors.
Cost is also a vital factor but for vehicle applications, how well the material performs outdoes the cost factor in the whole lifespan of that vehicle. Based on strength, properties windows of varied alloys is important. Still, considering the low density of carbon fibre to metals, one can know that it is better many times.
A carbon fibre armoured composite material known as carbon fibre composite material is fibre-reinforced composite material by using carbon fibre as the main component. Generally, thermosetting resins like epoxy resins, vinyl esters are mainly used in carbon fibre composites.
Carbon fibre composites are now utilized in various applications because of their superior properties when compared with other materials like aluminium, titanium alloys and other materials like steel. IT is because of the stiffness along with the strength to weight ratio, high corrosion resistance, along moulding advantages that is counted.
The main benefit of composite material is that the composite material’s features are better than its constituents. This is true when the material is designed properly and also perfectly manufactured.
Composite materials have been divided into four different categories:
- A fibrous composite material that mixes fibres with matrix. A perfect example of such fibrous composite material is city bus bodywork. For such application, the fibres of choice are fibreglass in the matt form and polyester resins.
- Laminated composite materials: Layers of consistent fibrous materials are present in a stack. Like for instance, carbon fibres along with epoxy matrix. Within the carbon fibre, several fibres and matrices offer a wide variety of properties for the ultimate composite material.
- A particulate composite material in the matrix; is the same as fibrous composite materials except for the reinforcement material. An example is metal matrix composites utilized in high-performance applications like motorsport and aerospace.
- Carbon fibre composites are available in various forms and shapes. One of the most prevailing formats for structural applications is prepregs. They are material layers that possess both resins as well as reinforcement.
How do carbon fibre composites assist your business?
- Carbon fibre composites in automotive and motorsport markets: Carbon fibre provides several benefits for vehicular application. In the automotive industry, because of the cost constraints of the mainstream market, those composite materials are mainly found in sports cars to hypercar categories and motorsport. Like for instance, most formula 1 car is carbon fibre.
- Carbon fibre composites in aeronautics: The need for low fuel emissions in the aeronautic market has changed the materials utilized for building passenger airliners. For many decades planes were manufactured using aluminium, but in the last 15 years, carbon fibre is being used largely.
- Carbon fibre composites in civil engineering: carbon fibre parts and composites are notable materials in the application of structural engineering. It is also beneficial in the various applications that strengthen concrete, cast iron, and timber structures. Its use in the industry is either for retrofitting for strengthening an existing structure or as an alternate material rather than the existing structure or a substitute reinforcing material rather than steel from an outside project.
- Retrofitting is widely known in several things, and when you use carbon fibre composites, the overall cost is reduced.
Some of the other applications of carbon fibre composites are
- Musical instruments that also includes violin bows, necks, drum shells etc.
- The firearm is used for replacing some metals, wood, and fibreglass components, but several internal parts are still limited to metal alloys.
- High performing drone bodies and other kinds of radio-controlled vehicles.
- Some light in weight poles like tripod legs, fishing rods, walking sticks.
- In dentistry where the carbon fibre parts are utilized to restore root canal treated teeth.
- Railed bogies of the train for passengers.
- Laptop shells ailing with highly performing case.
- Fabrics are woven by carbon.
- Archery, bolts, rail and carbon fibre arrows.
- It produces strong but lightweight tools and some parts because of its high strength and tear length.
- Rehabilitation of district heating pipe.
How is carbon fibre used in other industries?
Nowadays, efforts are being made for introducing carbon fibre in several applications. These mainly include fast-moving devices, insulation materials, along with pick and place end effectors. Considering pick and place, the main benefits are
- Reduction of weight, when compared to 3D printing or metals, can lead to fast speed and enhancement in productivity.
- The appealing aesthetics of the carbon fibre are eye-catching.
- Have more strength than 3D printing, along with Nylon and other plastics.
- Fastest turnaround time,
Carbon fibre has several benefits, and it stands out from the crowd for various reasons. This is why it is one of the best materials for several engineers as well as designers across the world.
Carbon fibre composites have a longer life when prohibited from the sun. When it is time to recommend composites, it’s impossible to meet them like other metals. It is possible to decompose it thermally.